Thursday, May 27, 2010

Collecting Victorian Ephemera & Memorial Day Move

One of the many things that I have collected passionately over the years is ephemera.

I have a bazillion old postcards and have them arranged neatly in albums according to content. Perhaps I will photograph them when I share my Studio during Karen's (My Desert Cottage blog) Where Bloggers Create Party (see sidebar for info).

I have quite a few Victorian scrapbooks that are filled with old trade cards and such. Many of them were put together by children, as these two were..........


In my travels to France, I have picked them up at the French Flea Markets whenever reasonably priced. Here are a couple of pages from a French scrapbook in my collection dated 1901. I scanned these for you and feel free to copy and clip and use in your artwork if you like.......

This French calling card is so pretty and romantic, I just love the pink roses!.............

Below are a couple of floral scans out of another scrapbook that I have from someone in Boston. These enlarge nicely so I hope that you can use them..........


Lastly, I hope that all of my American blog friends have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

Moving On.......

Our daughters will be here visiting and helping with a family project, at least for part of the weekend. We are going to help Mom (Grammie to them:-) move into a lovely new apartment. After many decades of residing in her old apartment it's definitely time for a change! Sadly it's become quite isolated where she lives and there isn't much to see or do out there in far away suburb. Most of her other widow friends are gone and now she is going to be living right near my sister and right across the street from the beach. She reads this blog (hi Mom!).....so if you want to wish her luck, please do....I know that she would love it!

Thinking of my WWII Vet Dad today too on this Memorial Day weekend. Here is a photo that I scanned of my parents when they were very young. My beautifully fashionable Mom with movie star looks and my late Dad with curly blonde hair and sky blue eyes.


It's never too late to make a fresh start and we are so excited for her!

That's it for today......enjoy the weekend my friends!
~xoxo~
Janet

16 comments:

Andrea said...

Your mom and dad look adorable! I could only dream of having one of those books, If you ever want to sell one,I would buy one no matter the price! There divine!!!

MosaicMagpie said...

What a great looking couple your mom and dad. Good luck with the move and I hope the boxes are not too heavy.
Debbie

Trisha said...

Best Wishes for happy times in your new place Grammie Fufu!
xoxo
Trisha Evans
A Vintage White

My Blessed Serendipity Life said...

I love old postcards too! I recently purchased an album full of them. -so much fun!
-Danielle

Anna Rosa Designs said...

Hi Janet,
I'd like to wish your Mum all the very best of happiness in her new place near the beach!
Gosh, what a gorgeous couple they were.
Hugs,
Anna

Dred925 said...

Aww Janet ..your mom & dads pic is beautiful! I hope the moving goes well & she loves her new place! The beach is an awesome place to live!! I love that name...Grammie fufu:)
Have a blessed & happy memorial day weekend sweets...to your whole family:)
Hugs..
Deb:)

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

Good luck and best wishes for happiness in your new home, "Mom!"

Julie Marie said...

Hello sweet Janet... thanks for sharing your beautiful vintage postcards, I love them... the photo of your mama is so pretty,she certainly does look like a gorgeous movie star and your daddy such a handsome man... I too will honor my daddy who also served in WWII this weekend... hello to your sweet mama! And best wishes in her new apartment... how nice to be closer to family and close to the beach... wishing you all a beautiful holiday weekend... doggie kisses to Murpyh! xoxo Julie Marie

Bringing Pretty Back said...

Beautiful picture of your mom and dad.
Have a wonderful Memorial weekend,
Kristin

Gail McCormack said...

Hi Janet

Your Mum and Dad look like Movie Stars!!
Good Luck to your Mum, I'm sure she will settle in very nicely!

Gail xxx

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Janet,
Love all the ephemera, hope you are able to show it at Karen's party with all your other gorgeous studio pieces.

Your parent's photo is beautiful. Your mom does look like a movie star, oh to have hair like that would be a dream. To Janet's mom, how exciting about your move, being able to start anew, make new friends and see many new sights around you!

Wishing you & your family all the best this Memorial Day weekend, Janet and thank you for mentioning what this weekend's all about in remembering people that have given so much for us.

Now off to check the grill! (Loved your comment about the sinks on my blog & what Mr. Fufu had to say about them ;)
xo~Tracie

Alicia ~ time worn style said...

What a beautiful couple your mum and dad are, looks like they are from a movie poster!! Love all those old scrapbooks too, what great finds.
Do visit my blog, I'm having a little giveaway
alicia

shabbydreaming said...

What a gorgeous picture of your parents!! And the postcards eekkk Stunning!! Hope the moves runs smoothly for your Mum!!

Annesphamily said...

What a beautiful post. Happy Memorial Day to you and yours. Your parents look so lovely together. Thanks for sharing. Anne

Sandra said...

Dearest Janet,

I wish your mother the very best of luck!!! The picture of your parents is absolutely beautiful!!! What a gorgeous couple!!!! Hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend and thanks for sharing your collection with us!!!! And a special thanks to your daddy and the many soldiers who protect and serve this nation of ours everyday!!!!

Hugs,
Sandra

Olivia~ said...

Oh wow, this is just oh so beautiful... i love the old victorian cards as well, so dainty and full of romance and mystery
hugs,
olivia